Progress Printing

Progress Printing Blog

Great images make for great design. Here’s why (and how).


Perhaps you’ve heard of the 80/20 rule – fitness is 80% diet, 20% exercise, or 80% of your revenue is earned through 20% of your customers and 80% of outcomes are produced by 20% of the work.

This theory also applies to design. Using high quality, interesting and beautiful images means your design is 80% complete. The remaining 20% is simple, succinct copy.

There are a couple of ways to ensure your images will make for good design.

The first? Write the best design brief of your life.

This can include a photography brief if you’re after something very specific to your brand or product and service offering. In fact, more and more brands have a photography style guide as part of their brand guidelines. With the proliferation of social media, it has never been more important to be visually on point with your brand.

If you don’t have the time to commission photography or you need a very specific image and fast, check out stock images.

There are literally thousands upon thousands of stock images available online for digital and print use. Find ones that use your brand colours and capture your business’s personality. Some stock image websites require that you pay for a subscription but there are many free options to choose from too.

Here are five of our favourite free stock image websites to get you started.

1. Pexels

2. Kaboompics

3. Unsplash

4. Stocksnap.io

5. Skitterphoto


.